For most people, a birthday is a happy occasion full of cake, parties, excitement, and then you grow up. It doesn’t mean you neglect the cake, parties, and excitement, it’s just that those items and feelings don’t create the special day. Acknowledging the day really makes it special.
It’s my birthday!! My 35th birthday!!! Whohoo!! I’m so excited to see, experience and enjoy another year of life. I’m surrounded by love, youth, family, friends, a blossoming career and the desire for more.
When thinking of ideas of what to write today, I came across some Pinterest posts of birthday time capsules. Although I won’t be digging a hole in the nearest park (because I don’t have a backyard yet), I do have this blog to capture my thoughts on this particular day of the year. Like with all writing, the answers you provide today, based on experiences may not be the same answers you would give a year from now.
With that being said, let’s answer 35 birthday questions to memorialize the hours before turning a year older
- What is the date and time? It’s Monday, April 20, 2015, 11:01 pm
- What are you doing? I’m up watching the channel 4 news, upset at this young man that was gunned down in front of the corner store in his neighborhood. He was only 15 with dreams of a life as an NBA star. smh
- What is the weather like? It’s cold! This up and down temperature has my mini-me not feeling well. This past Saturday was 73 degrees, today barely passed 60.
- What’s the last movie you saw? During the school spring break, we decided to take our daughter to see Home. It was a cute movie. Unfortunately, it didn’t get the overwhelming reaction of supporters like Frozen, but we enjoyed it and Ms. Rihanna’s accent.
- What was the last song you listened to on your iPod? Ne-Yo’s Religious
- What do you want your next vacation to be? I have been wanting to go to Jamaica for some time now. I’m guessing that plan should be put into motion.
- What are 3 accomplishments from the previous year? – I celebrated my mini-me’s fifth year of life with a Disney trip and a birthday party – she was excited which made us happy; I completed my thesis assignment and earned my Master’s degree; Became a supervisor within my field of study.
- Do you want more children? No. Children are a blessing, but I’ve experienced pregnancy, no longer curious. Having an only child is ok, not everyone is meant to be a biological brother or sister.
- What do you see yourself doing in the next year? I don’t know. Maybe I’ll be pulling up this post and reflecting on these 35th birthday year answers for my 36th birthday reflection.
- How much do you think gas will be in the next year? I don’t know! I don’t own a car nor do I drive. Maybe a driving license is in my near future.
- What are some of the important decisions you made that you learned from? I can’t control what other people say but I can control my reaction to what they say.
- How do you feel at this moment? Tired. Who starts a 35 question post at 11 pm?
- Have you met any new people lately? Actually, I did! This is surprising because I’m a homebody. Only recently have I been attending networking events that feature natural women. Sometimes sparking a conversation can be awkward. This past weekend, Kory and I attended a brunch where I met and conversed with a few new faces. I guess it’s not bad for me if it is in small settings – it’s not as overwhelming.
- What’s different today that was not relevant as a kid? Lack of respect for adults. I grew up in the projects, next door neighbors knew who you were, the owners of the corner store knew who you were. And everyone knew your mother! Your mother had eyes and ears literally everywhere. You’d be afraid to disrespect Ms. Williams because Ms. Williams will drag your ass to your mother, tell your mother all about it and get your punishment right there. And dare you to do it again or else you’ll get it worse. It took a village…
- Do you have siblings? How many? I have two older brothers, two older sisters, a younger brother, and a younger sister. I am a middle daughter of both my mother and father’s children.
- What do you do for a living? I am a full-time NYC employee. I supervise and manage the data systems within the Human Resources Department of one of NY’s most prestigious offices.
- What do you do in your spare time? As mentioned I’ve been blessed to be a mother, so that is my priority. Any other time of the day, you can guess that I’m on any social media account including this blog, liking comments, pictures and typing away.
- When was the last time you played a video game? Lol wow, I can’t honestly say I remember. We own a Wii System but actually sitting playing and competing at game strategies –I have not done in a long time. Maybe 2011 or 2012?? However, I do play games on my phone, running games such as Subway Surfers or Temple Run.
- When was the last time you laughed? I think it was the other night when Chris (my beau) said something. He usually thinks I don’t listen to him because I’m on my phone or the TV, but I listen. I hear what he says.
- When was the last time you cried? I think it was time last year. I try not to let myself get so frustrated to the point of releasing tears. If I do, that means the feeling has been bottled in for too long. My personality sometimes can not help but become emotional, at least depending on who it is.
- How do you travel to work? I take the ferry boat and then the train three stops. I should get up on time and get on a ferry that allows me to walk.
- Do you have secrets? Yup. Doesn’t everyone?
- Name the thing that annoys you the most? People that don’t stick to how they truly feel. Stand for something or fall for it all.
- Do you regret anything? No. I don’t like to dwell on regrets or what-ifs. Life experiences make me the person (good or bad) that I am today.
- What is your favorite meal? My favorite meal…I really like so many meals. I love the simplicity of a pan-seared steak and mashed potatoes to a complicated meal that you’d find in a five-star restaurant.
- What was the highest point you’ve been to? I’m not a person that enjoys being so high above the ground. But if you’re able to go to The View in Times Square. Good cuisine, while seeing NYC breathtaking views.
- Do you have nieces and nephews? Yes.
- What do you do when you first wake up? Hit the snooze button.
- Who are you proud of? Besides myself, lol…my mini-me!!! To see her as an infant to now reading books to her dolls. It’s a beautiful experience.
- What is your favorite movie? There are many movies that I love and I’ll sit and watch like I’ve never seen before. “You and me will never part…”
- Do you drink alcohol? Yes.
- What is your favorite beverage? At least three nights of the week I can be found sipping a red Moscato or merlot wine with my dinner. And we can’t negate the Thursday snack time of white popcorn and a red colored be drank in an oversized wine glass. #Team Gladiators. Lol
- What are you thinking just before going to bed? That I can’t believe that this WordPress app didn’t save my post, therefore I’retypingng these questions and answers again…
- Do you donate blood? Yes, I do. At least twice a year during my office blood drive.
- Sum up your life in one sentence. Live your life as if tomorrow is not promised. Of course cliché but it’s true.
Thank you for reading. I’m so glad to have asked these questions and then some more that are a little more private. We all should reflect on our lives and make updates to areas of our lives that may not work for you.
Introduce yourselves. Let me know if you have any other birthday reflecting questions you’d like to ask.